Upper Mustang Trip Overview:
|Max Elevation||4,230 m|
|Trekking Permits||Restricted Area permit $500 per person for 10 days & ,ACAP $20 per person after 10 days|
Upper Mustang Highlights:
-Visit the oldest monasteries; Tsrang Monastery, Jampa Monastery, Thubchen Monastery, Ghar Gumpa, Luri Gumpa
-Explore amazing wall and sky caves in Chhusang
-Celebrate the festivals and enjoy the local cuisines
-Discover Lo Manthang city and other oldest settlements
Why trek in Upper Mustang?
A unique and very different from the rest of the treks in Nepal, Upper Mustang treks walk you through desert-like landscapes, deep canyons, beautiful waterfalls, eroded cliffs, and mountain valley. Being one of the highly restricted regions Upper Mustang opened for travelers since 1992 and requires a special permit which costs USD 500 for 10 days.
Upper Mustang, known as the “Last Forbidden Kingdom” you will wander around the mysterious old Buddhist Kingdom of Mustang, also called Lo. You will walk on the historical Trans-Himalayan Salt Caravan Route of Nepal and Tibet. Also, on this trek, you will experience the traditional lifestyle of Tibetan people and their unique culture. Hence, this trek gives you the best trekking experience.
Best time to do Upper Mustang Trek:
Unlike other trekking regions in Nepal, Upper Mustang trek can be done throughout the year. As the region lies in the rain shadow area of Annapurna and Dhaulagiri ranges the trek is perfect during monsoon/summertime. The weather is great with magnificent landscapes and mountain views.
During the mid of May, Upper Mustang celebrates Tiji Festival at Lo-Manthang which lasts for 3 days. This auspicious festival is celebrated to mark the victory of good over evil.
And during the month of August full moon day, people here celebrate horse festival (locally known by Yartung festival) which lasts for 3 days.
Hence these are the perfect time to visit Upper Mustang for extra fun and experience.
Upper Mustang Trek Outline Itinerary:
Our standard 17 days upper mustang trek itinerary is well designed by our professional and expert teams. With our itinerary, you will get the most out of this trek.
We start out journey with an overland scenic drive from Kathmandu to Pokhara and fly to Jomsom from where our trek begins. The adventurous flight goes through the world’s deepest Kali Gandaki gorge. Not only this from Jomsom you will follow the famous Kali Gandaki River upstream till you reach Kagbeni.
From Kagbeni you will trek for 4-5 days eventually reaching to Lo Manthang (3,840m). Following the same route, we then trek back to Kagbeni.
For easy understanding here is the outline itinerary:
- Day 1: Airport pick up and Transfer to hotel
- Day 2: Kathmandu heritage sightseeing and preparation for trekking
- Day 3: Kathmandu to Pokhara 8,20m (220km) via Bus- 7hrs
- Day 4: Pokhara to Jomsom 2,800m via a flight and trek to Kagbeni- 4hrs
- Day 5: Trek to Tsele (Chele) 3,050m- 6hrs
- Day 6: Trek to Ghiling 3,570m- 5hrs
- Day 7: Trek to Tsarang (Charang) 3,560m- 6hrs
- Day 8: Trek to Lo Manthang 3,800m- 4hrs
- Day 9: Hike or Horse Ride or Jeep drive for sightseeing
- Day 10: Trek to Tsarang (Charang) 3,560m- 6hrs
- Day 11: Trek to Syngbochen 3,806m- 6hrs
- Day 12: Trek to Chhusang 3,000m- 6hrs
- Day 13: Trek to Kagbeni 2,830m- 5hrs or trek to Muktinath 3,700m
- Day 14: Trek to Jomsom 2,720m- 5hrs
- Day 15: Drive to Pokhara by public bus
- Day 16: Drive back to Kathmandu by tourist bus and transfer to hotel
- Day 17: International departure for homeward bound
How hard is upper Mustang trek?
Taking you at a max elevation of Marang La at (4230m) or Chooser (3900m) or Lo Manthang(3810m), Upper Mustang is a moderate trek in difficulty. With a basic fitness level anyone can easily do this trek regardless of their age, or gender.
Ghar Gumba or Luri Gumba in Upper Mustang trek
We will bring you to a very historical Ghar Gumba on the way back after Lo-Manthang. Or we will go an alternative trail for an old and cultural Luri Gumba on the other side of the mountain to return way back. Then, you will go back to Jomsom. From Jomsom, you will have a scenic flight to picturesque Pokhara with grand services of Pristine Nepal Treks.
Nowadays, there’s a road all the way to Tibet border from Jomsom. Most importantly, you can do mountain biking in this lovely Upper Mustang. However, you can do a motorcycle trip further here.
For more information, you can go to “A Complete guide to Upper Mustang Trek”
- Private vehicle for airport arrival and departure
- Private vehicle for sightseeing in Kathmandu
- Tour guide for heritage sightseeing
- Tourist bus tickets from Kathmandu to Pokhara
- Taxi to and from the bus park
- Flight tickets from Pokhara to Jomsom
- Public bus from Jomsom to Pokhara
- Baggage allowances are 10kg checked-in and 5kg hand luggage
- Tourist bus tickets from Pokhara to Kathmandu
- Trekking Permit-Trekkers Information Management System (TIMS) card
- Annapurna Conservation Area Project (ACAP) permit,
- Special Mustang permit
- Three nights hotel in Kathmandu with breakfast on the basis of twin sharing
- Two nights hotel in Pokhara with breakfast on the basis of twin sharing
- Lodge accommodation (tea houses) during the trekking
- Meals- Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner, tea/coffee in a cup during trekking
- Fresh fruits in dinner
- Water purification
- Experienced trekking guide (Salary, food, insurance, accommodation)
- Porter (salary, insurance, equipment, food, & lodging) one porter is provided for two people
- 4-season sleeping bag, feather-down jacket only for trekking on renting
- Medical kit
- Coordination services for emergency and rescue operations
- Government and related local taxes
- All paper works
- Farewell dinner at reputable restaurants
Price does not include
- Nepalese visa fees
- Travel insurance
- Monument fee in Kathmandu heritage tour
- Extra baggage charges on domestic flights
- Personal expenses such as laundry, bar bills, battery charges, extra porters, bottled or boiled water, hot showers, heater, phone calls, etc
- All soft and hard drinks
- Tips to guide and porter
- Any additional overnights in Kathmandu and Pokhara hotels in early return from the trek
- Additional tours in Kathmandu and Pokhara
- All your personal things and necessaries which are not mentioned in cost included